Wednesday 12 November 2014

Japan Calling (Day 8)

Day 8 (12 Nov 2014)

The view from our breakfast venue was breath-taking.  It  was slightly misty initially but it cleared by the time we finished our breakfast.  I hurried to the garden below the restaurant and was rewarded with an eyefeast that is beyond words.  This is the most "colourful" holiday I have ever had.  My plan to start the trip from further north of Japan in Gunma and move southwards to Hakone seems right in chasing the koyo which moves from North to South, the exact opposite of the Sakura trail.  That's why we could continue to see the blazing colours even in Hakone after we had left Gunma in the North




A notice in the lift ;)
After witnessing yet another bewitching myraid of autumn hues, we checked out and went to catch the free bus to our next ryokan, Tsuki no Koigokoro Ryokan 月の 恋心 in Ohidarai, further down closer to the town centre of Yumoto.  I had decided to book a ryokan nearer to town so as to save time and money travelling to Yumoto train station since our 3-day Hakone Free Pass would have expired by the time we start our trip back to Tokyo

On the previous 2 days, the aerial view from the ropeway was marred by mist and an overcast sky.  This morning, we had a fantastic view of the glorious vista below.  The colours below the cable car were really awesome.  Except that Mt Fuji was still shrouded behind the looming clouds in the distance.  Perhaps this is the only flaw on this near perfect trip.  We also didnt manage to take the iconic picture of Mt Fuji "next" to where we stayed in Hotel Green Plaza because of the dense mist. 









This small ryokan works in collaboration with another 5-6 other ryokans in the same vicinity to share their onsen facilities.  Guests at any of these ryokans can hop around using their onsen baths.  

The walk from the ryokan to the bus stop is just 1-2 minutes away and the timing was perfect as the bus seemed to arrive on cue the moment we reached the bus stop

It was a nice alternative to enjoying Hakone from the comfort of a bus, which is just as comfortable as the tourist coach that we are used to.  But for photo enthusiasts, the tram, cable car and ropeway definitely provide unequal opportunities for aerial photography of the picturesque landscape below.

We were heading to Togendai Station to catch the free cruise on Lake Ashi.  With the Hakone Free Pass (4,500 JPY) , customers get to enjoy unlimited rides on all modes of transport in Hakone for 3 consecutive days.  This includes the return train ride from Shinjuku to Odawara. 
Free cruise from Togendai Station
 However, I was soon distracted by the enchanting sight of white swaying Pampas Grass(Susuki Grassland) in Sengokuhara and decided to abort the plan to cruise Lake Ashi since I had done done that before.  No regrets for the impromptu stop as the white fluttering grass makes a perfect contrast against  the flaming colours of the forest.  The wind was unusually strong and I had to wear my Goretex jacket over my light down jacket to cut away the wind chill.  This area that runs parallel to the road is a special protection zone, and only around this time of the year can one see the sea of dancing white "lalang".  I had been to Sengokuhara 3 times before this and it's the first time that I saw this captivating sight.  I actually saw it from the bus yesterday while on the way back from my hike but the bus was too crowded and I was a little tired to explore the new discovery.  

















After immersing in the field of glorious white and gold, I crossed the road to check out some glorious colours that I saw from afar.  The residents here are so blessed to live in such a charming place that looks more like a painting!

I had a good lunch at a quaint shop and decided to walk all the way back to the  glass museum (probably about 3km) but was again distracted and deviated to enjoy a stroll on the grounds of a magnificent hotel.  I dread to think of the time I would need to spend selecting my hundreds of picture perfect images of this memorable autumn trail journey....











Anyway, to maximise the Pass, I took the bus back to Yumoto to do my shopping and savour one last ultralicious soft ice cream drizzled with Japanese yuzu (pomelo) honey. 

Japanese yuzu (pomelo), from our balcony
It was a short ride back to the ryokan which is just 7 minutes away from Yumoto train station.  And I was lucky to find the private onsen empty after dinner......well, we dont usually go for a dip shortly after a full meal but I guess that's also the best time to avoid queuing for the private onsen.  U can lock the door from the inside and enjoy the hotspring bath for as long as you wish.....a great way to unwind and settle down for our last night in Hakone

Wrapping up the blog for this autumn trail pursuit.  Photos in the Japan Calling blogs were all taken with the Samsung Note 2.  Better quality pictures from my camera will be compiled into an e-album and shared on my Facebook website when ready... Do look out for it and hope U enjoy my travelogue.



3 comments: